This week, I had no idea what I wanted to make. I thought about making fun, sprinkle filled cupcakes for my class at the school I teach at. I thought about trying an authentic Australian dish because we are learning about Australia this week. I thought about something random. I had so many ideas, I could not choose. So, I asked my boyfriend. He said I should make a red cake for him. Well, I went on Pinterest and found some yummy looking red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Unfortunately, I accidentally did not pin that website, so I had to use another one because I could not find it again. Here is the one that I ended up using. I have no tried them yet because they are for my boyfriend tomorrow, but I can tell you that the batter was delicious and so was the frosting. They were surprisingly easy to make.
Here is the cupcake batter. I forgot red food dye when I went shopping, so I had to run the store when I got to that step. Oops. The one thing that surprised me about the batter is how smooth it was. It was not runny, but it had a very, very smooth appearance like really runny batter does or something. In the picture you can kind of see it. It made it look fake. But it was very delicious by itself! Except it tasted like chocolate, which isn’t quit what I was looking for, but still good nonetheless.
Next step was putting them into the oven. On the website it said fill 3/4 of the way full and cook for 20 minutes. Mine only cooked for about 15 minutes before I pulled them out. I am glad I decided to check them early because 5 minutes more and they would have been way too done. At 15 minutes they were just perfect. When I stuck in a toothpick, I could feel that the cupcake was soft, but no batter came out on the toothpick.
While those cooked, I made the frosting. It was very simple… just softened butter and softened cream cheese with a little vanilla mixed with however much powdered sugar you wanted in order to get the consistency you want.
Here is the final product! I put the icing in a ziploc bag and cut a little hole in the corner and put it on that way. It made it much, much easier than trying to put it on with a knife.
I am really happy with how they look, now I just need to figure out how they taste!! 🙂